Before reading this post, have a look at this first!
If you find yourself in the province of Granada and you want to see a unique landscape and are not afraid of some (!) adventure, then Gorafe and its surrounding landscapes are a must. In the third part, we will tell you how you can reach the desert and our advice is simple: read our instructions carefully! In case of doubt, you can always visit this region with a guide.
The Alternative Route
The fastest way to go to Gorafe is via the A-92 and take the exit to Gorafe and Villanueva de las Torres. Yet, this is not what we recommend. Yes, it’s fast, but it’s a bit boring as well. Here is what we suggest:
- Put your GPS on Iznalloz and take the correct exit.
- You now find yourself on the A-308.
- Change your destination to Huélago.
- Huélago is a small village, but there is at least one bar, where you can take a break.
- Change your destination to Gorafe.
- Take it easy and enjoy the landscapes!
Not a bad start, I would say! And it gets even better when you get closer to your destination…
The Road to Villanueva de las Torres – First Preview
This is an option. If you only want to spend one day on this excursion, you better skip this. Too bad, because Villanueva de las Torres is cute, and the surrounding landscapes are magnificent!
Anyway, if you have the time, follow us. If not, go straight to the chapter of Gorafe (Part 2).
Don’t worry if you can’t find the exact spot where we stopped and took some pictures! There are enough places where you can do so.
Lunch at Villanueva de las Torres
First stop of our exploration: the local church. Let’s have a look at the exterior.
And we could have a look inside as well.
Most churches are closed when there is not a service going on. We were very lucky.
You know what comes next… Beer and tapas!
The first tapa was a slice of bread with a tuna salad and roasted pepper. The second was pork fat, grilled with garlic.
A lot of aspies are hypersensitive and have troubles eating certain (types of textures of) foods, and I am no exception. In Belgium, I couldn’t eat pork, especially with fat. The taste and certainly the texture made me vomit. Here, I ate all the pork fat, including the one of Lars. If you are ever confronted with an autistic child who refuses to eat a certain food, don’t push it!
From Villanueva de las Torres to Gorafe – Another preview
A last stop before continuing to Gorafe.
- The best is yet to come!
- Tomorrow I will publish part 2 about Gorafe and things to see/do, and the day afterward part 3 about the Gorafe desert itself.
- Because of technical problems, I had to change my video editor. I still have to get used to the new software, and I have taken the decision to publish new videos again in 2021.
Stay tuned for more spectacular pictures tomorrow!